Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What to do, what to do

I'm probably a cynic, but I don't usually believe in tactics to jump start writing. Mostly because I tend to over think when I'm trying to utilize them (which utterly negates the practice, I know). Anyhow, here are some possible directions I could take this "travel" topic to with the TOPOI. I've got to say, after looking at some of the sources I dragged up, I think I like where this is going...

Topic:
Travel
Possible Thesis: Something to do with travel, tourists, and the effect of tourism.

Notes: As applied by the TOPOI.

Contrasts: Visiting tourists create tension when they don't attempt to immerse themselves in, or understand the culture they're visiting.

Values: With the increasing trend of awareness of eco-friendliness, tourists face the ethical or moral conundrum of whether or not to travel to countries with fragile environments or poor economies.

Change: Are we (or can we) work(ing) towards a more economical method of travel, that's both beneficial in terms of our environment and the preservation of remote cultures?

Cause: What effects do tourists have on a local economy? Is it worth it for a country to exploit their natural resources or their one distinctive feature in order for them to generate revenue?

After trying this out, I'm starting to get interested in the we view the rest of the world as Western tourists...possibly exploring how tourism can be both beneficial as well as detrimental to a local environment, or how conflicts can arise when cultures interact...

No comments:

Post a Comment