Thursday, March 26, 2009

Spring Break! Is....Over

I know I promised exciting tales of discovering my hometown this semester, thanks to my Thursday night elective, and so far I've been lax in sharing them. Since I last made mention of the Cultural Guide to L.A. class we've:
-visited a couple in Hancock Park who collect art pieces and incorporate them into their home (imagine living in an art museum)
- saw a show at the famous Groundlings' theater on Melrose (the Progressive lady, "Flo" was the star comidienne)
-walked around the Arts district in Downtown (it felt like another city!) and peeked into galleries
-and took an adventurous ride on the Metro from Union Station to Hollywood for Thai food.

Needless to say, it's been a hell of a semester so far. Riding the subway in Los Angeles seems bizarre, especially given our city's "car culture". Still, I'm always amazed by this city and the people who live here. Just when you think the subways are going to be completely desolate and void of activity, along comes a train jam packed with people, AND THEIR BIKES. At rush hour I wouldn't think twice about it, but at ten p.m.? At least crowds are an opportune place to eavesdrop on conversations. Rude? Perhaps, but I think any person who projects their voice so the entire car can hear is aiming to be heard.

I digress. One of the great things about taking this class is learning about the budget friendly (i.e. usually really cheap, or free!) methods of discovering the city. Public transportation may not be up to par with that of cities like Chicago or New York, but I think Angelinos are embracing it, or trying to. It definitely comes in handy when you're traveling around the city's center. I feel motivated to check L.A. Weekly for shows, museum exhibits, plays, and any other assortment of events.

No comments:

Post a Comment