Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Annotations the First

I'm hardly the best at remembering what I've bookmarked sources for, which is why annotating them is helpful when I need to sort them out at a later time. Plus, I'll admit, I'm lazy and having to reread whatever I've piled up later is a major pain. We're supposed to start forming the skeleton for a paper in my writing class, and utilizing these sources as a spring point from which to develop. I'm not sure where I'll find peer edited sources for travel, or what I want to write about (this seems to be a reoccurring obstacle for this blog....) Anyway, I thought I'd start out at Amazon and look at some of the guide books, or memoirs (since everyone seems to be writing one nowadays)

Expat: Women's True Tales of Life Abroad.
Seal Press
Keywords: {Anecdotes, Voyages} and {travels, and Women} travelers

Through a collection put together by 22 contributors, Expat: Women's True Tales of Life Abroad, detail life abroad through the eyes of women. The writers come from a variety of backgrounds, from: students, teachers, and workers, to those chasing after a romanticised ideal of a foreign country. The one thing all of the contributors have in common (aside from this book) is that they've lived as expatriates. Through a recounting of their experiences, the writers reflect on the obstacles they've faced, different perspectives they've come to accept, and the lessons they've learned overall.

Bond, Marybeth
(2003)
A Woman's World: True Life Stories of World Travel.
Travelers' Tales


This series of essays is similar to the tales told in Expat: Women's True Tales of Life Abroad, but the tales in this collection aren't from women who've exclusively lived as expatriates. This mix of contributions comes from novice as well as veteran travelers, as well as writers. One of the chapters, an essay by Jo Broyles Yohay, recounts her time in India and and the change in perspective she experienced once she accepted the cultural differences she encountered.
With essays spanning countries on a number of continents, the variety of experiences documented offer advice mingled with entertaining anecdotes about cultural misunderstandings




No comments:

Post a Comment