Thursday, April 16, 2009

L.A. Is a Lady

I'm probably misquoting that, but I'm pulling it out of a dusty corner of my mind, mind you. My Cultural Guide to L.A. class has made a couple of interesting trips in the past weeks. We've visited the studio of a local, emerging designer brand (Endovanera in Echo Park), took a tour of Machine Project, and sat in for a Thursday night show at the Echo Park Film Center. Both were more fun than I would have given them credit for (but that just goes to show what I know, right?), and the latter two were designed for the community to enjoy. The Echo Park Film Center has an impressive library of DVDS, VHS, and actual film reels available to borrow for a week. They provide classes at various levels of expertise, and have weekly showings of different films. It's a hidden treasure, and one that I would never have known about if not for this class. I'm quickly learning that Los Angeles is a treasure trove for artsy, locally based institutions.

For our final class, we're going to be taking a trip to one of Los Angeles' iconic locations, the Stahl House (or Case Study #22). I can't wait! I've got to remember to pack my camera for that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment